HMS GRINDALL (K477)
Photo: HMS GRINDALL (K477) underway on 12 April 1944. Photo #FL5505 taken by unknown Royal Navy official photographer; from the collections of the Imperial War Museum.
HMS GRINDALL (K477) was a Captain-class frigate that served in the Royal Navy during World War II.
HMS GRINDALL (K477) was originally constructed as the United States Navy Evarts-class destroyer escort USS SANDERS (DE-273).
HMS GRINDALL (K477) served in the Royal Navy from 1943 to 1945 and then in the United States Navy as USS GRINDALL (DE-273) from August to October 1945.
HMS GRINDALL (K477) was named in honour of Vice Admiral Richard Grindall (1750-1820) who was commanding officer of HMS PRINCE at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805.
HMS GRINDALL (K477) was commissioned into service in the Royal Navy under the command of Lieutenant Commander William Cole, RD, RNR, on 23 September 1943 simultaneously with her transfer.
HMS GRINDALL (K477) served on patrol and escort duty. On 15 April 1945, HMS GRINDALL (K477) joined HMS KEATS (K482) in a depth-charge attack that sank the German submarine U-285 in the North Atlantic Ocean southwest of Ireland at position 50°13′00″N 012°48′00″W.
The Royal Navy returned HMS GRINDALL (K477) to the United States Navy on 20 August 1945 at Chatham Dockyard in England.
HMS GRINDALL (K477) was commissioned into the United States Navy as USS GRINDALL (DE-273) with Lieutenant Burrill D. Barker, Jr., USNR, in command, on 20 August 1945 simultaneously with her return. USS GRINDALL (DE-273) soon steamed to the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where she remained until she was decommissioned on 19 October 1945.
The United States Navy struck USS GRINDALL (DE-273) from its Naval Vessel Register on 1 November 1945 and scrapped her at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, where her scrapping was completed on 28 May 1946.
Complied by Thomas Joseph Simpson
Read about Thomas Joseph Simpson